When using an enterprise instant messenger or a free instant messaging program, there are bound to be times during an instant messaging conversation with friends, co-workers, or acquaintances where you may run out of things to talk about. In some cases, keeping the conversation flowing is a great way to get to know people better, which is important to build relationships, especially between new employees.
Here are some ideas that make interesting and engaging conversation flowing:
- current, neutral events (not politics or religion, but holidays and traditions should be okay)
- asking about hobbies
- asking about favorite/current movies, books, and TV shows
- talking about current work projects and obligations
- making plans for lunch, a happy hour, or other type of social gathering
- asking questions about family, such as kids and where they are from
Some of these questions (the more personal ones) are best used for conversations where people are getting to know one another and have some general report before asking these questions.
When and how often to ask these questions is usually best gauged by the individual, but as noted by the list above, there is no shortage of topics when it comes to continuing instant messaging conversations.
Do you have any other successful IM conversation starters?